Opened 3 months ago

#22110 new defect

unable to create virtual VMDK

Reported by: Tracey Owned by:
Component: virtual disk Version: VirtualBox-7.0.14
Keywords: Cc:
Guest type: other Host type: Windows

Description

re(my post): https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=111853 I can not create a virtual VMDK file (see below) in virtualBox 7.0.14. I had to down grade to 5.1.44 to install a virtual VMDK file then reinstall 7.0.14 to get usb 3.0 speed.

#1 Can you please fix the attachment of a virtual VMDK file. #2 Can you please make the virtual VMDK file attachable via the GUI and not require/necessitate the use of the CLI. Thanks, Tracey PS Can you please re-enble virtualbox v7 to install in Win7 or make a patch for this fix that can be applied to v7.0.14 so I do NOT have to downgrade to v5.1.44 then upgrade back to v7.0.14 to use a virtual VMDK file?

Case #1 I was using WinNT Server with a scanner (years ago) and was upgraded to Win2K Server. The scanner software installer would not install in Win2K, but the installer extracted all the software so I manually installed each program and used the scanner for many years.

Case #2 I was using Win2K and I tried to update a program which the installer halted because the installer required WinXP or later. But the installer extracted the applicable program which I manually installed. I use the software to this day. :-)

Please do not "force" virtualbox Users to upgrade just to use the software. I do NOT need or want to use a newer version of Windows: If I die before my computer then I will not care, but if my computer dies before I do then I will probably get a computer with the Linux OS.

Thanks, Tracey +++++++++++++++++++ I tried to create a VMDK without success [using VBoxManage help createmedium as my guide].

The following {example}command creates a raw disk image of an entire physical disk on a Linux host.

$ VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename=/path/to/rawdisk.vmdk --variant=RawDisk --format=VMDK --property RawDrive=/dev/sda I changed the Linux syntax to Windows syntax. VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename="D:\VirtualBox VMs\SpinRite\SpinRite\SpinRite.vmdk" --variant=RawDisk --format=VMDK --property RawDrive=
.\PhysicalDrive1

Please advise. Thanks Tracey Windows 7x64 VirtualBox 7.0.14 r161095(Qt5.15.2)

SpinRite.iso is the CD-Rom SpinRite Guest works in v7.0.14 as installed, but Spinrite does NOT have any hard drive to work on. (-rawdisk [u]
.\PhysicalDrive1u <AND> -rawdisk [u]
?\Volume{ec5b88ba-3aca-11ef-b3ff-d897ba85768e}\u) have the same error message.

D:\PROGRA~1\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename="D:\VirtualBox VMs\SpinRite\SpinRite\SpinRite.vmdk" --variant=RawDisk --format=VMDK --property RawDrive=
.\PhysicalDrive1 0%...VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create medium VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not create the medium storage unit 'D:\VirtualBox VMs\SpinRite\SpinRite\SpinRite.vmdk'. VBoxManage.exe: error: VMDK: Image path: 'D:\VirtualBox VMs\SpinRite\SpinRite\SpinRite.vmdk'. Failed to open the raw drive '
.\PhysicalDrive1' for reading (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED) (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). VBoxManage.exe: error: VMDK: could not create raw descriptor for 'D:\VirtualBox VMs\SpinRite\SpinRite\SpinRite.vmdk' (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED) VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE cdecl handleCreateMedium(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 630 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

Change History (0)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2024 Oracle Support Privacy / Do Not Sell My Info Terms of Use Trademark Policy Automated Access Etiquette