Last modified 2 months ago

#22099 closed defect (fixed)

Guest Additions not working on Centos 9 Stream since RHEL 9.4 release

Reported by: chris-llu Owned by:
Component: guest additions Version: VirtualBox-7.0.18
Keywords: Cc:
Guest type: Linux Host type: all

Description

The install of Guest Additions started to fail on Centos 9 Stream starting with the kernel released with RHEL 9.4 (5.14.0-427). Centos 9, which I use as a guest on my Windows host has the same kernel version as RHEL 9.

I tested this version an later versions of the kernel and the install does not work. There is a compilation error in the log file. Please see attached. It looks like when make is pointed at the /lib/modules/5.14.0-460.el9.x86_64/build directory, it cannot find either include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf. But it is there in /usr/src/kernels/5.14.0-460.el9.x86_64/include/config/auto.conf. Please remember that /lib/modules/5.14.0-460.el9.x86_64/build is sys linked to /usr/src/kernels/5.14.0-460.el9.x86_64.

There are a few people in the forums that have reported this issue. It is host-agnostic and is probably just an issue with the Guest Additions install script.

Attachments (1)

vboxadd-setup.log (26.3 KB ) - added by chris-llu 3 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (15)

by chris-llu, 3 months ago

Attachment: vboxadd-setup.log added

comment:1 by 38leinad, 3 months ago

+1 I am impacted by this and cannot install the Guest Additions. Same configuration. Windows host. Centos 9 Stream linux vm.

$ uname -r 5.14.0-452.el9.x86_64

VirtualBox Version: Version 7.0.18 r162988 (Qt5.15.2)

comment:3 by pfviv, 3 months ago

Same problem uname -r 5.14.0-467.el9.x86_64 Have tried testbuild 7.0.x revision 163608 with the tree latest kernels

Please advice Ivan Vågenes

comment:4 by larlau, 3 months ago

Observing same problem with guest-addition on Centos 9 builds after 5.14.0-427.el9.x86_64

Could you please look into it?

comment:6 by doppler, 3 months ago

Thanks @sergiomb, that worked for me :)

comment:8 by jag-yw, 3 months ago

The solution from @sergiomb works for some things like mouse and keyboard integration, but I am still not able to use shared folders as I previously could.

Is anyone else still having an issue with shared folders after following the solution from @sergiomb?

comment:9 by sergiomb, 3 months ago

@jag-yw we need more information , with Centos-stream 9 as guest I have shared folder working

in reply to:  8 comment:10 by 38leinad, 2 months ago

Replying to jag-yw:

The solution from @sergiomb works for some things like mouse and keyboard integration, but I am still not able to use shared folders as I previously could.

Is anyone else still having an issue with shared folders after following the solution from @sergiomb?

For me also this does not really work. I mean, it installs but i get all kind of graphics glitches and e.g. copy and paste/clipboard between guest and host does not work.

I am also maybe not a pro user. Can someone share some details on the suggest fix using the guest additions installed via the package manager? Is this the intended approach or still experimental. At least on the link it says "keep in mind this still in a very early stage". Is there any way to get the guest additions installed via the "old" approach. I.e. mounting guest additions from drive adn running VBoxLinuxAdditions.run?

comment:11 by sergiomb, 2 months ago

Can you check this https://pointieststick.com/2024/03/08/psa-enable-3d-acceleration-in-your-virtualbox-vms/ ?

Seems that "For KDE Plasma, you need to enable 3D acceleration (which is not on by default)."

you can't install both guest additions, to install Centos Stream 9 guest additions you should remove Oracle guest additions first, navigate to /run/media/<my user name>/VBoxGAs_x.x.x issue command './VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall'

Other thing is when you want run VirtualBox on Centos Stream 9 as server, that is for what patch propose for, because guest drives are all available in official kernel (kernel.org)

comment:12 by Klaus Espenlaub, 2 months ago

Fixed with VirtualBox 7.0.20.

comment:13 by Klaus Espenlaub, 2 months ago

Resolution: fixed

comment:14 by guillaume75, 2 months ago

Hello, I can confirm that VirtualBox 7.0.18 was not working on CentOS host with kernel later than 5.14.0-446.el9.x86_64. It's now working perfectly with Virtualbox 7.0.20 on CentOS host with kernel 5.14.0-479.el9.x86_64. Thank you for this patch.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2024 Oracle Support Privacy / Do Not Sell My Info Terms of Use Trademark Policy Automated Access Etiquette