Closed 5 years ago

#19163 closed defect (fixed)

Mouse Location Problems

Reported by: rj45 Owned by:
Component: guest additions Version: VirtualBox 6.1.0
Keywords: Cc:
Guest type: Windows Host type: Mac OS X

Description

After upgrade to 6.1.0 including Guest Additions, the mouse is quite off from where it should be. There used to be a single mouse cursor with guest additions. Now there are two cursors in different locations. This happens in Win10 and Win7 guests.

Attachments (1)

Win10-goldnew.vbox (5.6 KB ) - added by TheBloke 5 years ago.
Win10 1909 x64 guest with 6.1.0 GA and PS2 mouse, exhibiting mouse pointer lagging

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

comment:1 by rj45, 5 years ago

This only occurs when the mouse is set to PS/2. If the mouse is USB Tablet, and the USB device is enabled and set to USB 3, everything works as expected.

by TheBloke, 5 years ago

Attachment: Win10-goldnew.vbox added

Win10 1909 x64 guest with 6.1.0 GA and PS2 mouse, exhibiting mouse pointer lagging

comment:2 by TheBloke, 5 years ago

I'm having this issue as well. Solaris host, accessing Windows 10 VMs via VRDP.

As the previous poster said, I have the issue with a Win 10 host set to PS2 mouse. However, I have realised that the problem seems specific to 6.1.0 GA. The problem does not happen with 6.0.14 GA, and interestingly it also doesn't happen if I upgrade 6.0.14 GA to 6.1.0 GA. For me it only happens with the combo of PS2 mouse + freshly installed 6.1.0 GA.

The following tests were done with a freshly installed Windows 10 x64 1909 guest:

• 6.0.14 host, Windows 10 x64 guest config to PS2 mouse + 6.0.14 GA = mouse pointer OK
  • 6.1.0 host, Windows 10 x64 guest config to PS2 mouse + 6.0.14 GA = mouse pointer OK
  • 6.1.0 host, Windows 10 x64 guest config to PS2 mouse + fresh installed 6.1.0 GA = mouse pointer INCORRECT
  • 6.1.0 host, Windows 10 x64 guest config to USB mouse + 6.1.0 GA = mouse pointer OK
  • 6.1.0 host, Windows 10 x64 guest config to PS2 mouse + 6.0.14 GA -> upgraded to 6.1.0 GA = mouse pointer OK

In summary:

1. USB mouse works in all scenarios with 6.1.0 host and 6.1.0 GA
  2. PS2 mouse failed with 6.1.0 host + freshly installed 6.1.0 GA
  3. But PS2 mouse worked with 6.1.0 host + GA installed as 6.0.14 then upgraded to 6.1.0
  4. Therefore, based on my results, the user will only notice the problem if they both use PS2 mouse, and do a fresh install of 6.1.0 GA. If they upgrade 6.0.x GA to 6.1.0 (as most users with existing VMs will do), no problem will occur.

I therefore wonder whether this is a problem with the 6.1.0 GA, or the 6.1.0 GA installer, rather than the host itself.

Attached: vbox file for guest currently exhibiting the problem. Freshly installed Windows 10 x64 1909 guest, with 6.1.0 GA installed. I can fix the mouse pointer in this guest either by changing mouse to USB, or by uninstalling 6.1.0 GA, installing 6.0.14 GA, then installing 6.1.0 GA over the top.

Hope that helps.

Last edited 5 years ago by TheBloke (previous) (diff)

comment:3 by Vbox_User, 5 years ago

I am unable to use the "USB Tablet" option. I RDP Into the computer with multiple (three) monitors. (I am running Linux and am using "FreeRDP" for the linux RDP client. )

When I try the "USB Tablet" option, my host mouse pointer only hovers over the first (primary monitor) whereas the guest mouse moves across all three monitors. For ever one pixel the host mouse moves to the right the guest mouse moves three pixels to the right.

The guest mouse horizontal movement is so FAST that it is hard to control... The pointer speed option in Windows does nothing because it thinks it is a tablet touchscreen.

I switch back to the PS2 mouse and I set the pointer speed in Windows to match the host movement. Fortunately, I can get a perfect speed match. The two pointers get out of sync but I can push them together at the sides of the screen.

Note: There is no issue with version 6.0.xx. Using the PS2 Mouse option I only see one cursor and it works perfectly.

I have two host computers -- one with version 6.0 and one with version 6.1. I have made a clonezilla backup of my guest. I am hoping that this bug is worked out so I don't have to move the guest to an older version

Notes: This is a fresh install of Windows on vbox 6.1 on a linux host. (Xubuntu 18.04) I only ever installed one version of the GAs. I have tried installing it multiple times after making changes. I am launching the guest in "headless" mode.

The PS2 option seems to be the only one in which the guest is usable with multiple monitors. Other than the pointers getting out of sync once in a while, it works pretty good.

comment:4 by Vbox_User, 5 years ago

I just want to clarify -- perhaps I am the only one with this situation. (Never caused a problem on version 6.0)

• Host running Linux only has one monitor.
  • Windows Guest is configured in vbox for three monitors (Remote Display Enabled)
  • Windows Guest is started "Headless" mode.
  • RDP Client (running Linux) has three monitors. (FreeRDP has "multimon" support)
  • Tablet option has a one-to-three horizontal mouse movement (from RDP host to Windows guest)
  • Tablet option does not let the host mouse "Hover" past the first monitor. (Hence the one-to-three movement -- traversing one monitor with host mouse traverses all three monitors on guest)
  • PS2 Mouse option worked perfectly in this situation in version 6.0
  • In version 6.1, (to be useable) I must match the RDP host and Windows guest mouse movement speed perfectly -- and still, I always have dual mouse pointers. To get them to over-lap I just push up against the sides of the screens and they will line up for a while until activity gets them out-of-sync)

Side note: I launch the FreeRDP client from a CLI (terminal):

xfreerdp /disp /cert-ignore /multimon /u:username /p:password /v:10.1.1.2:port &

comment:5 by Vbox_User, 5 years ago

I just did another test: Using the same Linux host running vbox 6.1 and the same RDP client with three monitors:

There is no issue with a guest running "Windows 8.1 build 9600" and the "USB Tablet" mode for the mouse. All works perfectly on all three screens.

The one-to-three mouse movement issue I experienced was in "Windows 10 1809"

comment:6 by rj45, 5 years ago

I'd like to add that this problem did not happen in 6.0. These are the exact same VMs just with the new version of guest additions.

comment:7 by ad.dd.frederick, 5 years ago

Confirmed the bug with GA 6.1. I have uninstalled GA 6.1 and reboot, installed GA 6.0.14, upgraded to GA 6.1, and everything works as expected.

Links:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.14/ https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.0/

Tested on Windows 10 Education 1909 x64

comment:8 by rj45, 5 years ago

This is fixed in 6.1.2. Thanks! This one can be closed.

comment:9 by Frank Batschulat (Oracle), 5 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2024 Oracle Support Privacy / Do Not Sell My Info Terms of Use Trademark Policy Automated Access Etiquette