Last modified 5 years ago

#19081 new defect

Display shrinks to 1024x768

Reported by: Iain Waddell Owned by:
Component: other Version: VirtualBox 6.0.14
Keywords: Cc:
Guest type: Windows Host type: Windows

Description

I've been using VirtualBox for several years but recently my Windows 10 guest upgraded from release 1803 to 1903. Since then I've had problems.

Initially I would have random lockups. Suddenly the guest would be unresponsive and after a while it would crash and VirtualBox would report that the guest had aborted. Googling led me to sites that suggested the lockups were usually related to the graphics driver.

I was using VBoxVGA (as I'd originally started on v5.1 of VirtualBox). After lots of reading about the VirtualBox video drivers I discovered I should have been using VBoxSVGA when I upgraded to v6.0 of VirtualBox (currently on v6.0.14).

Since the switch I've not had any lockups but at random times instead my desktop shrinks. I'm using a 4K monitor in Full Screen mode (3840x2160) and when the shrink occurs the Windows 10 desktop has shrunk to 1024x768 and is centred on the screen with a massive black border all around. The guest hasn't crashed and Host+F twice restores the screen to the full size but all my open applications have been squashed too, so I have to resize them.

I asked this question on the forums and it was suggested I log the problem here with logs.

When I originally reported the issue in the forums I was at home using my Windows 7 desktop but it's just occurred while I'm away running the VM on my laptop (Win 10 Home host).

Host: Windows 10 Home (Build 1903) Guest: Windows 10 Pro (Build 1903)

Attachments (1)

Screen Shrink.zip (45.6 KB ) - added by Iain Waddell 5 years ago.
Logs and .vbox file

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (6)

by Iain Waddell, 5 years ago

Attachment: Screen Shrink.zip added

Logs and .vbox file

comment:1 by Frank Batschulat (Oracle), 5 years ago

Guest type: otherWindows
Host type: otherWindows

comment:2 by sunlover, 5 years ago

According to the log the guest first disables the display and then resizes it to 1024x768. Is there any screensaver in the guest or the screen Power & Sleep setting is not set to Never?

It looks like the guest is doing this.

comment:3 by Iain Waddell, 5 years ago

Screensaver: None Power & Sleep: Never & Never

comment:5 by frg, 5 years ago

I can confirm this even for Windows 7. Usually happens after startup. Windows 10 and Server 2016 are affected.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2024 Oracle Support Privacy / Do Not Sell My Info Terms of Use Trademark Policy Automated Access Etiquette