Last modified 7 years ago

#16833 new defect

Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking

Reported by: dfatvb Owned by:
Component: network/hostif Version: VirtualBox 5.1.22
Keywords: network nic bug Cc:
Guest type: other Host type: Windows

Description

I've used Virtual box for years, once it moved to 5.x I have not been able to use it due to the summary subject. The physical machine is an i7 with Win7 x64 all the latest updates. Contains VirtualPC, VMWare Player and VirtualBox. The 4.3.40 works fine. The last time I installed 5.1.22, it uninstalled 4.3.40, installed 5.1.22. Everything worked fine for a couple days (the computer was left running or sleep mode). On the reboot, the same thing happens, no networking on the host system, no connecting to domain controller, etc.. If you go to the control panel / network and sharing, it just has a circle hourglass going in circles and says "Identifying..." for the Connection: Local Area Connection and Access was "No Network Access". So I went to adapter settings, right clicked on the "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" and clicked disable. As soon as that was disabled, the local area network connected and everything was working again. This is repeatable, last attempt was back in 2016. Still a problem today.

Change History (2)

comment:1 by Socratis, 7 years ago

@dfatvb,

I don't believe that this is a "critical" bug, in fact I'm not sure if it's a bug at all, or simply your setup that's responsible for these symptoms.

May I suggest something? It's usually better and faster, if issues like this one get first addressed in the VirtualBox forums. More than 95% of the issues are resolved over there, which keeps the developers focusing on the bug fixes and enhancements, and there is no need for another ticket to keep track of. For example, yours is most probably not a bug and someone from the developers has to deal with it and close it as "Invalid".

So, if you can, please open a new thread in the VirtualBox on Windows Hosts section of the forums.

Be sure to mention that you came from the bugtracker and include the ticket #.

comment:2 by Socratis, 7 years ago

A re-installation with "-msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" fixed the issue, as per the comments in the forums.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2023 Oracle
ContactPrivacy policyTerms of Use