#14893 closed defect (invalid)

Fails during boot

Reported by: MikhailRokhin Owned by:
Component: other Version: VirtualBox 5.0.10
Keywords: Cc:
Guest type: BSD Host type: Windows

Description

Attachments (3)

VBox.log (209.8 KB ) - added by MikhailRokhin 9 years ago.
VBox.png (9.4 KB ) - added by MikhailRokhin 9 years ago.
VBoxHardening.log (419.7 KB ) - added by MikhailRokhin 9 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

by MikhailRokhin, 9 years ago

Attachment: VBox.log added

Attachment: VBox.png added

Attachment: VBoxHardening.log added

comment:1 by Frank Mehnert, 9 years ago

Is this a FreeBSD guest? Which version? Or can you even point to an .iso file?

comment:2 by Frank Mehnert, 9 years ago

Actually did you check if the guest boots on real hardware?

in reply to:  2 comment:3 by MikhailRokhin, 9 years ago

Replying to frank:

Actually did you check if the guest boots on real hardware?

VirtualBox fails during it's boot. It's FBSD-11-current-i386. Have a debugging try, please. It's abnormal that VirtualBox itself fails.

To repeat, compile kernel with: options KSTACK_PAGES=64 options KVA_PAGES=1024

It would be normal, if kernel failed within the VB, keeping VB alive, but it crashes VB. Hopefully VB will be isolated from running guests totally.)

Thank you for developing VB.

comment:4 by Frank Mehnert, 9 years ago

You didn't answer my question.

The guest triple faults. That means, the guest does the same what the software would do on real hardware to reset the system if there are no other options. VirtualBox is just so convenient to display a message box and allow to attach a debugger.

in reply to:  4 ; comment:5 by MikhailRokhin, 9 years ago

Replying to frank:

The guest triple faults. That means, the guest does the same what the software would do on real hardware to reset the system if there are no other options. VirtualBox is just so convenient to display a message box and allow to attach a debugger.

For e.g., VMWare behaves normally - mentioned kernel fails within the VMWare machine and the message about it appears, but the VMWare machine doesn't fail itself nor crash. That's the only thing I meant - VirtualBox machine should stand still like hardware whatever software ran within it fails or not.

Thank you.

in reply to:  5 ; comment:6 by Frank Mehnert, 9 years ago

Resolution: invalid

Replying to MikhailRokhin:

Replying to frank:

For e.g., VMWare behaves normally - mentioned kernel fails within the VMWare machine and the message about it appears, but the VMWare machine doesn't fail itself nor crash. That's the only thing I meant - VirtualBox machine should stand still like hardware whatever software ran within it fails or not.

I don't understand. If the guest kernel fails and prints a panic, what else should the VMM do than showing a message that the guest triple-faulted? Again, a real PC would reboot immediately preventing any diagnostic.

in reply to:  6 comment:7 by MikhailRokhin, 7 years ago

Replying to frank:

Replying to MikhailRokhin:

Replying to frank:

I don't understand. If the guest kernel fails and prints a panic, what else should the VMM do than showing a message that the guest triple-faulted? Again, a real PC would reboot immediately preventing any diagnostic.

Disagree with you - real PC would hang. Again, whatever guest failure is, it can't crash VMM itself, when VMM is isolated totally from running guest - VMM may show anything of results of guest failure: either reboot, or hang/halt.

In 5.1.26 version of VB this issue has gone. Thank you for developing VB.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

© 2024 Oracle Support Privacy / Do Not Sell My Info Terms of Use Trademark Policy Automated Access Etiquette